Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Lucky Shirt v. Networking

don’t really put a whole lot of stock in “lucky” clothes.  Generally speaking, if I have a lucky shirt or a lucky pair of shoes or whatever it isn’t so much that they have done anything special for me as it is that I simply like that shirt or those shoes.  Nevertheless, I can’t help but think of certain articles of favorite clothing as lucky.  I feel happier when I put these clothes on than other clothes, and I feel irritated on days when I have no lucky clothes to wear.  Especially the days when I have no lucky shirt AND I’m down to my last pair of socks and underwear before I do laundry.  Because the last pair of socks are the ones that are too tight and make my feet sweat and the last pair of underwear is too loose and gets all twisted around under my pants.  Also, if I have a day that I really need to go well I can’t bring myself to wear a shirt that I don’t see as lucky.  I feel compelled to wear one of the lucky shirts, if there is one clean (clean enough) even though I know that the shirt itself isn’t really doing anything to help improve my luck.

Except for this one shirt, of course, which really is lucky.  I don’t want to bore you with the details or insult your intelligence because it’s a pretty standard story.  But for context let’s just say I was wandering through the woods…  blah, blah, blah… came upon a wizard living in a tree… yadda, yadda, yadda… he challenged me to a game of Donkey Kong, which I suck at.  He said if I lost he got to use me in a psychological experiment, but if I won he’d turn me into a dragon.  Naturally I took the challenge.  But, as I mentioned, I suck at DK, so I lost badly.  So badly, in fact, that when we were done playing he said I was too awful to use in his experiment, but as a consolation prize he gave me this genuinely magically lucky shirt.  It’s not exactly being turned into a dragon, but I think it was a pretty big score! 

So, I have this lucky shirt.  The wizard said the shirt has enough luck in it for five lucky days.  Now, I don’t know if there is some way to charge it or to activate it, because I’ve worn this shirt about two hundred times and I’ve only had a total of about four lucky days, if I add together all of the borderline lucky moments end to end.  Is that how this shirt works?  I have no idea.  But I reckon there is about a day’s worth of luck left in this shirt.

Why am I bringing this up?  Well, recently the Time Warner channel Adult Swim (stylized as [as]) posted a job that was right up my alley.  The job is doing data analysis for the performance of programs that air on the [as] channel.  2 things about me you need to know.  1.  I love [as].  I’ve wanted to work for them for about 8 years.  Perhaps 9.  I can’t remember exactly when I first wanted to go there.  2.  In my current position with the state of GA I do performance reporting and data analysis for federal programs.  The programs are entirely different, of course; [as] programs are actual TV shows, where as the federal programs I report on are programs designed to help people get back to work and get training.

The job is right up my alley, right?  I applied.  Well, technically I sent in a resume.  You don’t just “apply” to Time Warner.  You send in your resume and they let you know if you are qualified to apply for the given position.  

Which brings me to my conundrum: when do I wear my lucky shirt?  Do I hold out until I get an interview and wear it then?  Do I wait until I’ve been approved to apply for said position and wear it then?  Or do I wear it every flippin’ day until then, hoping that the casual nature of this luck will accumulate around me until one day the universe cannot deny me a lucky break and I am permitted to apply?

Or do I “Network” and try to find someone who knows someone at [as] or Turner Broadcasting or Time Warner who can help me get my foot in the door?

Oh crap.  Maybe I should wear my shirt to find someone who knows someone…

Or maybe I should be wearing my shirt now while I make this very important decision.  Is there enough luck in the shirt?  Dangit!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you!